Thursday, May 28, 2009

Something Different


So I can do things other than horses, so long as they're horse-related;)
Gathering Rust is a piece I started over Spring Break when I was at Mom's watercolor class and needed something to keep me busy. It's a 14"x17" graphite sketch that I took from an example in Mom's watercolor How-To book. When I saw the picture I knew that it was going to be a challenge, especially without color, because of the myriad of textures from the foreground to the background. I was concerned that the viewer wouldn't be able to appreciate the rust on the horse shoe and chain as it's hard to convey that texture with pencils. Overall I'm not thrilled with the piece, but I think I did an admirable job with the peeling, chipped paint and the textures on the horse shoe itself. And that's all I have backed up, so now onto some new things. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment