Thursday, May 28, 2009

Oh Yeah, Right


Mom reminded me about this one when I showed her the blog:
I saw this picture as the cover of Equus and I absolutely fell in love with it, so I decided to recreate it. And to make matters worse, I thought I'd try my hand at acrylics. I've never really done painting, but figured it couldn't be that hard... Well, that heinous idea was soon set aright when I finished the preliminary sketch and started to paint. It was a great experience though, and I will certainly do more painting when I find the time. I'm calling this Snow-swept, and it's a 16"x20"? acrylic on canvas board. I had a very tough time mixing the colors on the horse's coat to get the right mix, as well as shading with paint to fill out the figure and give it depth and muscle. I don't think I really succeeded, as I'm particularly not thrilled with the colors on the horse, but I love the way the snowflakes came out--because the original was a photograph taken in the snow, the snowflakes in the foreground were blurry, which was a quality of the picture I loved, so I was determined to get that same quality with my rendition. I mixed water to varying degrees to the white paint in order to get the right transparent effect. Pretty cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment